Monday, March 25, 2013

Lay off me I'm starving!

Well, I've managed to do it again. I have starved yet another one of my children. Beckett had been super fussy for pretty much the whole month of February. He cried unless he was being fed or sleeping, and sometimes if you were holding him. Don't even think about laying him on the ground! The mere motion of starting to lean back would set him off into hysterics. I had a hunch that my milk supply was low, but Beckett wouldn't take the bottle when I offered it. I figured if he was hungry enough he would take the bottle. We started rice cereal once a day at the end of February (as previously posted) and he loved it! I kept it at once a day for a week or so, until he had his doctor's appointment. B Boy only weighs 12lbs 9.6 oz (off the bottom of the chart for weight) and is 25.25" long (25% for height). The poor kid has been starving! So, since B-man still won't take a bottle, or sippy cup, I immediately upped his feedings to three times a day. And since he already had the hang of the whole eating thing, he just took off and loves solids! He eats at least two bowls of food at each feeding; usually one vegetable and one bowl of rice cereal mixed with formula. Within about three days of upping his feedings he is a totally different baby! Happy all the time. Finally talking and so easy to make giggle. Before he made no noise, unless it was to cry. No cooing, laughing, talking, nothing. I feel horrible as a mother for not being able to produce enough food for him, but feel so relieved and happy that my baby is back. He has a weight check in a few weeks so I'll be interested to see how much he has grown. Moral of the story: don't starve your baby.

4 comments:

suzanne said...

Good thing you didn't succeed in starving him! He really is a happier baby!

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

Glad you were able to figure out what he needed! I love how excited he gets to eat!

Unknown said...

You don't need to feel bad!! You didn't know! And that's why we have doctors. He is sooooo stinkin adorable!!

Maren B said...

Good job catching that! I hate how you can feel so guilty as a mom, even when you're doing your best. That's super interesting that he is more verbal now that he feels better physically!