Thursday, March 27, 2008

And we're back...

It has been a busy week! I have to admit that it has been a little nice not to have the internet around, but I do miss visiting everyone's blogs and posting on my own. Well, first of all, the move is over. Jefferson and a few of his friends got everything loaded up out of our old apartment and moved into our new apartment in under 2 hours. Pretty impressive. Carter was a big help with cleaning.

We are actually enjoying our new place. It's older, so there are all the fun things that come with older apartments, but we really like the layout.
We decided that with the move, a new house, and a new room, we might as well throw in a new bed. Carter is now officially in a big boy bed. It was a fun first night, but the transition was super easy. We didn't really know how we wanted to go about transitioning Carter into the big bed, so that was part of the problem.

We started out with just going through our normal routine and then just laying him in his new bed and closing the door. He of course just got up out of bed, opened the door, and came out into the living room. We would put him back in bed and then he would come back out. After about 20 minutes of that we found that if we stood in the door way he would stay in bed. So Jefferson and I did that for about 20 minutes and then decided that we didn't want to have to stand in his door every night until he fell asleep. We left the door open a crack, thinking that would do the trick, and went back to unpacking.

Pretty soon we hear Andi laughing her head off and find that Carter has discovered Andi's bed and is playing with her, pulling her legs out of the crib. We only did that about 3 times before we moved Andi to her own room. Then I decided to sit at the end of Carter's bed, not look at him, and hope he fell asleep. Pretty soon Carter would sit up, scoot to the end of the bed, and just sit next to me, silent, holding Lasso. It was so dang adorable, but after a few times of laying him back down, I discovered that probably wasn't going to work.

So, we decided to put the safety latch handle on the inside of Carter's door so he couldn't get out, closed the door, and hoped for the best. Carter cried really hard for about 10 minutes, knocking on the door, crying out "Dada, Mama, Andi!" I really just wanted to go in there and lay next to him. After 10 minutes it suddenly went silent. We thought for sure Carter had passed out next to the door. So then what do you do?! Open the door and risk waking him up trying to put him back to bed, just to do it all over again? Leave him sleeping on the floor all night not knowing that his bed is where he is supposed to sleep? We just didn't know. We finally decided to peek in and see where Carter ended up. Much to our surprise he was curled up on his bed sound asleep! Ever since then he has fallen asleep after only about 30 seconds of crying, in his bed every time, even for naps! It's almost been a week, so let's hope this trend continues!


Next was Easter. It wasn't the most spectacular Easter seeing as we were living out of boxes and our new stove hadn't arrived yet. The kids loved their Easter baskets from Grandma and Grandpa and we all still ate plenty of sugar. Andi wore her beautiful dress that Grandma Stewart made for her and Carter wore his new guayavera (aka, flowery white Mexican shirt). :) They both looked adorable, but we were unable to capture any great pictures together in their outfits.

Other than that, we have just been settling into our new place. Jefferson is on a two week break from school and we are just enjoying some down time with our new cable (hello March madness!) and playing with the kiddies. Whenever Jefferson leaves the room Carter will run around the apartment yelling "Dadda?" We all fight over who gets to sit next to him and play with him. :) So, that's our last week in a nutshell. We are so glad that we have over a week of break left! Here is Andi after bath time and Carter enjoying his cream of wheat (one of our favorite breakfasts).

10 comments:

suzanne said...

I've checked about 100 times for any new posts! Welcome back! Kids look fantastic..........Carter looks so little in his big boy bed! It won't be long before his long legs will hang over the end.........sad bones..........

Dyan said...

So happy to have you back, you were missed! Glad the move went well and that Carter is doing well with the big boy bed...cute! No more bunny ear t.v.? Extra happy day for you! I guess we're officially the last ghetto family...hmm, probaby not something to be proud of! :) You'll have to post pics of your place once everything is in it's place, I like to be able to envision where you're living!

nison (nic + allison) said...

i agree with dyan - where are the pics of your apt? i know i'll be seeing it this summer, so i have nothing to worry about. i can not believe how big they are getting. i would have loved to have been there watching carter play with andi - cute! haha love them! so stinkin' cute!

breena rae said...

where did you guys move to? hope all is going well with unpacking and getting in the groove of things...I know what a jolt in the routine moving can be!

How cute about Carter. I think the same thoughts go through each parents head about what to do. The whole back and forth contradicting opinions conversation inside your head. All of the sudden Brighton will randomly not go to sleep for some of her naps and needs me to stroke her hair...but I figure, these are the moments I will remember the most :)

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

Love the pictures of the kiddies. This is the first time I can really see Carter in Andi!

I hope that I get to see you all soon!

Loves!

Shauna said...

exiting you moved into a new place..post some pics once you get all situated!

Trujillo family said...

I love all of their pictures! They are so adorable!! I am glad you are enjoying the break. We would love to come visit one day and see the new place. I can't believe Carter is in a "big" bed! They grow up too fast!!

Ie Li said...

I'm so glad that you posted about the transition to a big boy bed. I'm wondering when and how I should move Mei Li to a big bed.

I'm glad that you're done with the move. Moves are so stressful! Your kids are dang cute!

Julie said...

What a cute dress your mom made! They look so cute.

Maylin said...

I'm glad the big bed is working out for Carter. It looks like you found one of those boards to put under the matress so the bed is not so tall. We sure miss you at "the Terrace!"