Thursday, July 24, 2008

Busy Bees

I am trying to find time to post all about Sunriver, but we have been having a busy week. I am very grateful that we have had things to do this week. I always struggle the first few days after a vacation. I just want to stay in Neverland with my family and never return to reality.

Monday we had playgroup. My kids love being out in the sun on the playground with their friends. Andi has discovered how to climb up onto all the play equipment. She would go round and round, climb up the stairs, over the bridge, and then down the slide face first. Reminds me of Carter at that age. Carter loves going anywhere that Galla is going to be. At playgroup the two of them just disappear together and keep each other entertained. This past Monday they spent most of them time frolicking in the field or racing up and down the handicap ramp. Who needs a playground?

Tuesday morning we met up with some friends to pick blueberries. Carter loved picking them and Andi loved eating them. A little old man runs the place and boy was he grouchy! When I first pulled up he came up to my window and I said, "We're here to pick blueberries!" And first thing he does is look into the backseat and said, "What are you going to do with them?" referring to my kids. I assured him that I was going to bring them along with me. He went on to say that he didn't like the idea of a stroller going through the blueberry farm because the ground was rough. I told him that we could handle it. Imagine his dismay when my three other friends pulled up with a total of six more kids! :) He warned us that if he caught any one of our kids running, he would kick us all out. Can you believe how grouchy he was?! When we came up at the end to load our blueberries up he turned a little nicer and complimented us on how well behaved our kids were. I wanted to tell him that we would be finding a different blueberry patch next year to pick at, but I didn't. I just told the old cranky man that these well behaved kids have good mommies and left it at that. Anyways, we really did enjoyed ourselves.

The Gresham Library has an activity every Wednesday for kids. This week was a puppet show. I have never seen Carter so engrossed in an activity, or hold so still, for so long. Well, "still" is a relative term. He danced and yelled at appropriate times during the show and even figured out how to "flap his wings" when the butterfly and duck said to. I was so proud as I sat and watched him. He looked so grown up with all of the older kids around him (older being 3-5 years old). It probably helped that Galla was there for him to mimic.

This morning was supposed to be story time. We went to the younger age class for 12-24 months and it was a major bust. The lady was horrible who led it! She wasn't loud enough, animated enough, or capable of singing well enough to be leading that class. We had never been to this one. It also didn't help that Carter started crying the second we walked in the door... the exact same time Andi messed her diaper. We only lasted ten minutes. After we got Andi cleaned up we went and picked out some books to check out.

The library also does this great summer reading program. Each kid gets a little game board and every time you read to them for 15 minutes you cross off a space. Every ten spaces you bring it into the library and get to pick out a prize. Andi got a new book today and Carter got a yo-yo. It's more of a weapon at this point in time, but he was thrilled with it and it kept him entertained for a good half hour. It's a great program and a good reminder to read to my kids every day. They love it.

Well, check back soon for Sunriver posts. I'm working on it.

6 comments:

suzanne said...

tick tock..............

Trujillo family said...

Sounds like so much fun! Where do you find out about all these things to do? I need more ideas for us to get out of the house! but can't wait to see the pics!!

Sharon said...

Sounds like a fun week! Gray misses Carter already!

Miche said...

I miss doing all those things with you guys! I would have loved to have been at the blueberry farm with you!:) Can you believe Andi and Porter aren't little babies anymore?!? These kids are growing up so fast! Miss you!

Trishelle said...

Yum! Blueberries! We just find that in Utah! Dani, your kids are so cute! It's great to read your blog and see that you are enjoying the journey. It is a great life, isn't it?!

Warrior Princesa said...

Dani, your family is so cute and i love to read the antics of the kids. it makes me laugh!!! especially fourth meal. i just about died!
kelda