There was another quote in there that I liked from a mom that said, "I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less." Sometimes I find myself anticipating the future and counting down the days until we get out of school. Then, I think, we'll have it made. But then we'll be in a new business, paying off student loans, struggling financially, I'm sure, and then I'll be looking forward to five years down the road when we are a little more secure. There is always going to be something to look forward to.
Sometimes I am so ready for 7:00 to hit so I can put my kids to bed, that maybe I overlook some of those tender moments throughout the day. Like today, watching Carter try to unlock all the mailboxes with my mail key for the hundredth time was adorable. And while sometimes, that extra five minutes at the mailbox really drives me crazy, it's nice to stop and appreciate this little being next to me who is trying to figure life out. It's so easy to get caught up in completing our to-do list and wishing for and anticipating the future. I know that these are such treasured times with my children, and that someday I will want to be back here with my babies with nothing to do but watch ants and play in the sprinklers. These "quiet" times at home, unscheduled, spontaneous, and unpredictable are such a beautiful thing.
I love being a mom more than anything in the world. These two beautiful children of mine bring me so much joy. Watching them appreciate every small aspect of living makes me appreciate living so much more. My goal is to treasure the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less; to find joy in the journey.
"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end."
-Ursula K LeGuin


17 comments:
Those are such good words to live by Dani. Gave me goosebumps. Looks like you guys had a fun 4th! By the way I'm doing a card making night tonight for YW at their request...any tips? :)
I loved that conference talk. I am glad that you reminded me of it because it. It was fun seeing you guys at the park today, thanks for inviting us!
What beautiful insights. I so look forward to being a mom...
If I have any regrets at being a mom, it's exactly what you said - I sometimes got caught up in reaching the goal instead of enjoying the steps to reach that goal - Glad you are figuring it out as a young mom! I love you dear daughter of mine!
I'm glad I found your blog! Those were definitely words that I needed to hear. I also find myself counting down the time until it is nap time or bedtime. But I need to enjoy the small moments more. Thanks for writing this!
Amen, sister! When I start counting my blessings it hardly seems fair for me to find anything to complain about. And thanks to you and yours for being friends with me and mine and sharing these good times together--like chasing Galla and Carter to the pond for the twentieth time and coaxing them away from the crazy man with the bucket of catfish. Priceless.
Well said. I love the pic of Carter's mohawk and the one where he is sleeping on the floor just so he can be near Andi. Precious!
wow, what a great post! Thanks for reminding us of this important message :)
Thanks for this. It is good to be reminded how important, though sometimes tough, our role as mothers is. I loved it...
something we all need to remember. We have a sign above our bedroom door that says "enjoy the journey".
so true. I love that talk.
That was a great talk. I think we all need a little reminder of that some times.
I love the part in the talk where he refers to "bending, twisting, and lifting"...how true! And really not even just as a mother but in life in general physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually...it all requires so much!
I cried when I heard that talk, it was exactly what I needed, at exactly the right time :) Your kids are adorable by the way...and I finally started a blog. Miss you Dani, wish we were in Portland, and wish we every saw you when we are.
Danielle! This is the first I have seen of your family. They are beautiful. I love your blog.
Dani!!! Hey, my borther Brad needs your home address by tomorrow! He is filling out these job application papers and he must be using Jeff as a contact or something? It's a very thorough paper thing since he is applying for CHP...I hope you get this soon. Just email your address to me. My email is my first and last name all lower case @gmail.com
Thanks!!
Post a Comment