Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Baby Beckett's Birth Story

Monday: Last day Ben, Sharon and boys are here to play. Have fun letting the kids run around and go out to lunch. Over the weekend Sharon painted my toes for me in preparation of baby boy coming. Thanks Sharon! I literally couldn't have done it without you. :)

Monday night: School prep and FHE on priesthood, followed by father's blessings. Loved.
Tuesday: Carter's first day of school! He is a little anxious when we first arrive, but quickly makes new friends and has a blast at school. It's also Jefferson's first day as the owner of Cascade Chiropractic and the first day he gets to treat patients! We are so excited that this business is underway!
Wednesday: was a crazy day!
8:15am It was Andi's first day of kindergarten, so I took her in and dropped her off at her classroom. She was all smiles and could not get me out the door fast enough. I can tell her teacher is going to just love having her in there. Then us girls headed home to make Jefferson's dessert for his birthday.
11:00am I had my 37 week appointment. (I was 37weeks & 5 days). The doctor checked me and said I was about 2cm dilated and 85-90% effaced. They wouldn't strip my membranes because I am GBS+ and I wondered if I would go into labor on my own without any help because with Carter my water broke and they had to induce me, I was induced with Andi, and went into labor with both Taytum and Bentley after having my membranes stripped. Anyways, I was pretty excited that I was seeing some progress at least. I wasn't at all effaced at my previous appointment.
12:00pm After my appointment I met my parents and Tay and Bentley for lunch.
1:00pm After lunch I headed back to the school for a parent-kindergarten orientation in Andi's class.
2:00pm School's out. After school we went home and got everything going for Jefferson's birthday dinner. My mom and I cooked the prime rib all afternoon, the kids made cards for Jefferson, wrapped presents, and cleaned up a little.
4:00pm I started having some real contractions. They weren't consistent and not close together but a few each hour. I had been having Braxton Hicks anywhere from 10-30 times a day for the past few months, so I knew these were different and definitely more painful. I just chalked this up to being checked that morning and assumed they would die down.
 6:00pm Alli and Nic came up for dinner after everyone was off of work and we enjoyed Jefferson's birthday dinner. During the final dinner prep and throughout dinner I was having contractions that made me stop. Come 7 o'clock they were coming somewhat regularly. After dinner, presents, and dessert, and after everyone left around 8 o'clock, Jefferson started timing my contractions. They were anywhere from 2-5 minutes apart. Most of them were pretty debilitating, but some were less painful than others. I was doing just fine with them, but Jefferson wanted to head to the hospital right then. I reminded him that just because we would be at the hospital wouldn't speed up the delivery. He just wanted to avoid a middle of the night wake-up call to go to the hospital, and he also knew that I would have to get a four hour antibiotic before they would let me deliver if at all possible. We went back and forth having "words" about going and I refused for a while. In the meantime I got kids clothes ready for school the next day, packed lunches, finished packing my hospital bag, cleaned up a little bit, and then went to give the run down to my parents. While doing so, Jefferson informs me that his car is running outside waiting to go to the hospital. This was just before ten.

Last time being pregnant:

9:45pm On the way to the hospital we stopped and got gas and a few snacks. My contractions were still pretty regular, about every 5 minutes, some were super painful, and others were less so. When we got to the hospital they checked me and I was only a generous 2+ dilated and only about 85% effaced still. Talk about disappointing. This was like Bentley's delivery all over again! The doctor said we could either walk around a while or go home and wait it out. I knew this was going to be the real thing sooner or later and told the doc if we went home we would just be back in a few hours to deliver. He agreed, especially with this being my fifth baby. He kept saying "mother knows best."
10:30pm So round and round the birthing unit we walked. I would stop for contractions, we timed ourselves to see how fast we could complete a lap, we peaked in at the other rooms, we talked and we walked. I was slightly annoyed with Jefferson for "making" me come in before I probably normally would have. At one point he asked, "On a scale of 0 to Chris Brown, how mad are you at me?" We walked for about an hour and a half and while my contractions kept coming, they weren't coming any faster, though they were all ones that made me stop and breathe through them.
11:45pm Back at the exam room just before midnight I got checked again. And hallelujah- I am 4-5cm dilated and going to be admitted! It's baby time!
Now came the rush to get the antibiotic in. My bag of water was bulging which means it would be more prone to break while being checked, so they avoided checking me from there on out.
12:30am Just after midnight we are all situated in our room, I get my IV going and the first dose of antibiotics goes in. Then we wait and breath through the contractions and wait for my epidural to arrive.
2:00am I get the epidural. Shortly after, baby boy's heart rate is decelerating after each contraction, which isn't normal, so the nurse decides to check me. I am 8cm dilated around 2:30am. His heart rate goes back to normal, nothing to worry about.
4:45am I get the last dose of antibiotics and we can have baby at any time.
5:30am I tell them I feel lots o' pressure down there. I am still only an 8 but they decide to break my water and the doctor can feel baby's head.
6:00am I tell them it's pushing time. Sure enough, I'm dilated to a 10, the doctor suits up, the nurses prep the room.
6:15am I start to push.
6:19am Baby Beckett Riggs is born. There was a lot of pain involved with the pushing, but no tearing, and shear joy when little man was placed on my chest. It took two contractions to get him out, the doctor blames it on Beckett's large head. Jefferson cut the umbilical cord and Beckett's apgars were 8 and 9. Then we just got to hold and love on him for quite a while before they weighed and measured him and cleaned him up. He weighed 7lbs 10oz and was 19.75 inches long. He has quite a bit of dark hair and is truly delicious!
7:00am I nursed him and he latched on like a champ.
8:00am Aunt Alli was our first visitor, followed shortly by my mom with my kids and my dad. My kids just loved him! Everyone wanted to hold him. Bentley would cry every time Beckett was taken off her lap and Taytum cried that Beckett couldn't come home with them. It was pretty cute. Then everyone left, including Jefferson who had to go into work for a few hours. Did I mention it was only his third day as business owner? In the meantime, I just held Beckett and slept off and on.
The rest of our hospital stay was very uneventful. It was nice having my sister work at the hospital so she could visit me multiple times a day, especially when Jefferson was at his office a couple of times. All the kids made a few more visits, as well as my mom and dad. It was nice just hanging out and being forced to rest and relax. We were able to convince them to let us out of the hospital on Friday night instead of Saturday morning. Usually they like to monitor baby's of GBS+ moms for 48 hours. We snuck out just under the 36 hour mark. They knew I knew what to look for and that I wasn't a first time mom.
My kids definitely needed me at home. It had been one crazy week. We had company in town on Monday, Carter started his first day of school at a new school on Tuesday, Tuesday was also Jefferson's first day as owner and doctor at Cascade Chiropractic, Wednesday was Jefferson's birthday and Andi's first day of kindergarten, and then Mom and Dad were gone to have a baby. They needed us back. I cannot express how nice it was to have my mom right here to fill in for me. It was so easy and nice not having to shuffle kids back and forth between people and arrange rides and whatnot. I knew my kids were being well taken care of and that they thoroughly enjoyed their special time with Gramzee.
Beckett has been a great baby in the four days he's been alive. :) He is pretty typical, if not less fussy than your average baby so far (knock on wood) and he is a fantastic nurser. He is scrumptious and I cannot get enough of him! We're so glad to be home with our healthy, happy baby. What a blessing.

6 comments:

nison (nic + allison) said...

It really was awesome for me to be so close to you and Beckett. I loved coming for my daily visits (multiple times). A great distrcation from my day. :) So glad he's doing well and I agree - he is so scrumptious!

Maren B said...

Congratulations! Your last birth, right? I'm glad everything went relatively well. Hope you continue to get some rest despite your house full of kids.

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

So fun to read about how it all played out. He looks quite scrumptious and I can't wait to get my hands on him!

Pieces of me... said...

What a day!!! How exciting and congratulations! Can't wait to see pics of him :) LOVE the name btw

Dyan said...

I love birth stories! "on a scale from 0 to Chris Brown..." hilarious. But did it make you laugh or want to hit
him? :) So glad everything went well and that little Beckett is here!

Trisha said...

Congrats! Glad things went well. Now we need pictures!!!