Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Back to school


We’re back to school. The kids love school, love their teachers, love all their new friends, love eating lunch at school, and love recess. They are both in all day school and it pretty much killed me to send them both all day! I am so glad they are both doing so well and enjoy it so much, otherwise it would have been a hard transition on all of us.
Carter was a little bit anxious his first day of school. It was a new school with all new people, and he’s just a little more timid and sensitive anyways. He put on a brave face all morning and I tried to do the same. On the way to school Carter told me that he was a little bit scared the night before but that he wasn’t scared anymore. I got to walk him into his classroom and he was excited to see that a boy from church was in class. That was really helpful to have at least one familiar face. His teacher seems really nice and made Carter feel even more at ease. He was all smiles when I picked him up from school and was excited to help Andi out the next day on her first day.
 
 
Andi was beyond excited to start school. She was even more excited that she gets to stay all day and have lunch there. She came in to my bathroom at about 6:30am while I was getting ready and said, “I got up early so that I can get ready.” She just makes me laugh. She was all smiles as we made our way to her class and met her teacher. I went to a table with her that they had coloring set up for the kindergartners until everyone was there and after about a minute she said (in a very sweet and loving voice),  “Mom… can you leave now?” I tried really hard not to cry. There was no looking back from that point on.

 
 
 When I was taking Andi for her first day of school (Carter’s second day), Carter’s teacher stopped me in the hall to tell me what an excellent student and good boy Carter is. She said he was so good at listening and kept his eyes on her all class. She is pretty glad to have Carter in there. Andi’s teacher has also stopped me multiple times during pick-up after school to tell me what a sweet, wonderful girl I have. She tells me often how glad she is to have Andi in her class.

Last week was back to school night and I have to admit, I love going into my kids’ classes and hearing how wonderful they are. I hope that remains the case for the next 12 years. Carter’s teacher went on about what a good student Carter is and what a good reader he is. He’s reading a grade level ahead and gets advanced books sent home with him. And Mrs. Johnson can't say enough good things about Andi. It was a delightful night.




3 comments:

nison (nic + allison) said...

Who knew that the Harmons would carry on at Roosevelt?! How fun for them to have each other there! (Reminds me of Sam and me)

Maren B said...

Your kids are so stinkin tall they make my kids look like shrimps! To me they seem like they should be in 2nd or 3rd grade.

Dyan said...

Cute smarty pants kids! Won't it be fun to see what they do with their futures?