Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I love Portland because:

This caused church to be cancelled:

I took that picture right when I heard the news, because I did not believe it! We live a block away from our church, so it was no worse at the church. I guess it would have been hard for the elderly to make it. It just cracks me up. It's not like snow is new to our city. We have had snow three out of three winters that we have been here, and a lot worse than this. Where I'm from we had to have at least two feet of snow to get a snow day, literally! Jefferson's school was cancelled the next day. Luckily he didn't have any finals that day so it won't affect him. 

We enjoyed our day burrowed into our apartment. We ate snickerdoodles, drank hot chocolate and sparkling cider, and watched Christmas movies. It was rather enjoyable. 

Because we knew it was going to be a winter freeze over the weekend we had to put in little insulation covers over all the foundation vents in our building, about 50 of them. (we get paid extra and when I saw "we" I mean Jefferson) Anyways, of course our building is old and doesn't have standard vents that they make precut covers for, so we had to buy these huge sheets of insulation and individually cut each cover. And not all of our vents are the same size, they are all about 1 or 2 inches different in both height and width. It was quite the process, but Carter and Andi enjoyed our "snow" covered living room:

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, we are going to miss you guys this year for Christmas. You guys, Josh and his wife (which i have never met yet), Brook & Sariah will not be there. Everyone else is coming. It's hard when everyone lives so far away and yes, funding for flights and what not are very expensive. I know L.Jay and Terri are even feeling the funding pinch this year. They live in an apartment half the size of my apartment. It's tiny. I don't know how anyone is going to squish in there.
It's going to be fun though, and yes, we will take tonz of pics. We will have 3 pregnant sisters there..there will be 11 kids staying at Bart and Audras. That is crazy. So many grandkids, cousins etc. I wonder if they will try to get a family picture while most of us are there. I hope not, my hair looks aweful and I am not planning on getting it done anytime soon (Until the next student loan comes in that is) Sorry this is so dang long. We will miss you though. Have a happy holiday!

Robyn said...

Oh my goodness, I totally hear you on the snow thing! I can't believe they cancel school (and church) for less than 1 inch of snow! I am so bummed because I was supposed to have 3 Christmas parties this week, and they were all canceled! Such a bummer! My favorite part though is all of the people driving with CHAINS on! I don't think I've ever put chains on my car, and I've driven over the mountains with FEET of snow! Sigh...

suzanne said...

That's snow? You're kidding, right? Snow is when we were literally snowed in our house last year - 4 feet if you recall! Not even that cancelled church ONCE last year!

The Bell Family said...

Okay that is hilarous, in Lakeview, the only time they cancel school is if the school buses can't get to the houses out of town. Usually there has to be at least 3 feet of snow before they do that. The only time they have canceled church was when there was a fire from the furnace and then one year there was a flood from frozen pipes. Hope you guys enjoyed your "snow" day.

Hannah said...

It's the same here in Eugene. Even if theres a little frost on the grass and nothing on the road they close schools. Stores even closed early cause we got like 4 inches. It's like it's the end of the world when it snows. I can't believe how many people are already driving with chains on. It's a bit ridiculous!

Sharon said...

I still can't get over that they cancel school and church over a skiff of snow! We actually got a couple inches here and of course all the school's were canceled! So funny! I guess it might be a good thing though, the drivers are CRAZY when there is only a little bit of snow....I can't imagine what they would do if we had a REAL snow storm!

It looks like there is more "snow" in your apartment than there is outside!

Tori said...

That's so funny. The other night it was supposed to get down into freezing temperatures, and so there were all of these weather warnings, and the news stations had updates all through the night, and they were encouraging people to stay off the roads. It wasn't snowing or raining or anything. It was hilarious :)

The McClellan Family said...

Are you guys planning on living in the Portland area after school? I wish we could have hung out more at school also. It would have made it much more bearable:)

Julie said...

That is crazy! My cousin teaches up there and she said today was their 5th snow day in a row!!! And Kelson's Dr. up there has been closed the entire week due to the snow! Lucky you!