It can get confusing along the way though, and this has happened one other time in my life (well, I am sure more than once, but one particular instance comes to mind), when I feel like I am making a correct decision, but Satan tries to thwart our efforts in following the Lord. The confusion can come in when we go to make that decision and things don't go according to plan. Is that the Lord telling us it's the wrong decision, or is it Satan trying to make us think that it's the wrong decision? I have had my moments of doubt during this move. Things did not go according to plan, and anyone who really knows me knows that I like to have a plan and I like things to go according to that plan. However, during those moments of doubt, I have turned to prayer and once again been assured that we are supposed to be here. Whether it's to have things not work out and humble us (which I feel quite confident is not the case) or to live here for the rest of our life with a thriving practice (my vote is for that one)... I'm not sure. All I know is that this is where we are supposed to be and there is work here for us to do.
The other time in my life that I remember things not going according to plan when we were trying to follow the Lord's will was when we were going to Klamath for Jefferson to ask my dad for my hand in marriage. We were planning on driving to Boise the first night of our trip after Jefferson got off work. It was pouring cats and dogs when we left and not fifteen minutes into the drive we got a flat tire. It was pretty late so there was no one to change our tire and we had to stay the night and leave first thing the next morning. We made it to Boise the next day, stayed there for the night and the next morning the car battery was dead. We had to go get a replacement battery and were on our way once again. On the drive between Boise and Klamath I was told to go through Ontario, well, you have to exit the freeway to go through Ontario and I ended up just going past Ontario and continued in the wrong direction for quite some time. We ended up taking the back roads of Eastern Oregon and extending the duration of our trip by a good number of hours to get to Klamath. I'm so glad we didn't get discouraged or take it as a sign that we weren't supposed to get married, because we had felt the promptings of the spirit telling us we were supposed to get married. And look at us now, 6+ years of marriage and going strong!
In thinking and researching faith and fear I found this wonderful quote by Jeffrey R Holland:
"First, we must never let fear and the father of fear (Satan himself) divert us from our faith and faithful living. Every person in every era has had to walk by faith into what has always been some uncertainty. This is the plan. Just be faithful. God is in charge. He knows your name and He knows your need."
How reassuring is that? I was reading through my patriarchal blessing today and it said that I would be successful in all the decisions that I make. Of course, the promise is contingent on my following the gospel and living in accordance with the spirit. Well, that's what we are doing, so I know that this decision will work out how it's supposed to and that it is the Lord's will whatever happens. I have just had a few faltering moments along the way, but onward in faith I go.
12 comments:
I can't tell you how many times I have also felt that way, and I am so glad to hear that you know everything will be okay when you follow the Lords commandments. I just know things will work out for you! I miss you guys a lot! Good Luck!
I didn't realize that you moved there without a job! That is faith... and of course with 3 little kids, it is natural to have a little fear as well. You guys are great... so I know great things are coming your way!
Dani you have such strong faith in following the spirit, it may be going a little slower getting everything started to begin with, but how could the Lord not bless you and your family for all the faith you have in Him. I'm sure everything will work out. I have felt this way many times since Damon started nursing school, but I quickly relize just how blessed and furtunate we are. Good Luck!
How blessed are we to have the gospel eh! Its crazy to think that there are people out there who don't have it! Everything will work out. It always does, you have such amazing faith and your family will be blessed for it. hey, The edvalsons are in Boise, do you know if you live close to them?? Anyway, we moved to Salt Lake without a job as well but we knew it was where we were suppose to be. Things are not easy but we are being watched over for sure :)
Thank you so much for this post! It relates to some of the feelings Nic and I have been experiencing. I really appreciate sharing those experiences. You are such a strong person and I look to you as an example. The Lord does watch over us and knows our every need/care. Love you!
dani! thank you for this post! i've been going through a lot of the same questions and experiences of faith lately. and it's like you said....you have to keep going in faith. i think sometimes that you have to fake it til you make it....kind of. just keep going and it will come, the faith, the hope, and the knowledge. love you dani!
You definately are where you are supposed to be...because you've felt the promptings to do so. And it will all work out...maybe not as planned, but it will! We just lived through that (well, still kind of are in some regards) earlier this year...moving to a new state, with no job or income, and 2 kids and 2 on the way. People must think we're both crazy!! But we're not, just doing our best to live by faith in the Lord! Sending prayers your way...
Over the past year I have had to learn to let go and have faith that everything will turn out as long as we are living the Gospel. It has been hard to let go because I am somewhat of a control freak. But it also helps to know that other people are going through similar sorts of things. The Lord knows us and knows what we need. You guys are strong and faithful and the Lord knows that. Everything always works out for the best. Good luck!!
It is awesome that you guys have been able to recognize those promptings of the Spirit, and that you've chosen to follow them even though you weren't - and maybe still aren't - sure how it was going to work. I am sure that you are going to be blessed for your faith in doing what the Lord wants and needs for you to do!
I know exactly how you feel! This is the same thing that we went through when we left Provo, ended up in Portland for 2 months and finally landed in Twin Falls. Once we got to Oregon we just felt like we weren't really suppose to be there, but nothing else was opening up for us. And then we were blessed with Brad's great job in Twin. All I can say is keep doing what you feel is right and eventually you'll be able to look back and see that it was the right choice...although I know that is way easier said than done! Much love to you all, Katie Laws
Hello Friend :)
We need to talk, call me when you can :)
Hang in there!
I love this post! I needed to hear that & that quote was perfect. I think I need to frame it as a constant reminder to have faith over fear....(I'm thinking about having 2 kids close together, being able to handle it, meeting their needs, etc...). Thanks for this, and I really truly hope things work out for you guys quickly. I'm sure things will come together soon.
Post a Comment