Saturday, March 6, 2010

Get your craft on

A few of my girlfriends and I get together for a craft night once a month. We rotate whose house we go to and they get to choose the craft for the month. We just barely started doing this, and I really should have posted last months' craft night with Tamra and her red glitter lips. Anyways, this month we did these super cute flower clips at Mandy's. They are super simple, cheap, and cute- three of my favorite things!
All you need is costume silk ($2/yard at Wal-Mart) in various colors. 1/8 yard will get you tons of clips. I kid you not. We also used tulle in two different sizes ($0.75/yard). Then of course embellishments for the middle; buttons or pearls work real nicely. I also used a pink diamond brad on one that is super cute. And lastly, hot glue, alligator clips, and ribbon if you want to cover your clips.
Simply cut different sizes of circles/ovals in the color of fabric you want, starting big and getting smaller. Hold a lighter near the edges to melt them and make them curl up a little. Glue it all together. And there you have it. I know, not a great tutorial... it's 3:00am. What do you expect?
My beautiful girl modeling one for us:

WARNING: These are highly addicting to make once you realize how quick and easily they come together. I have since made more and just got some brighter color fabrics to make even more!

3 comments:

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

Yours turned out so cute! I need to put more layers on mine - and I like the tulle idea for extra layers. I got my fabric at Wal-Mart too - such a steal!

nison (nic + allison) said...

Those sound easy enough! I think I'm going to have to make some once our lives around here settles down...

suzanne said...

With you and Summer sewing and crafting I'm not going to have anything to do! But I love that you are both sewing...........Alli actually uttered under her breath that she's starting to get the bug................I knew we would get her eventually. Shhhh, don't say anything to her!