Monday, January 7, 2008
HELP!
Anyone who has or has ever had a child in nursery... how do you do it?! I thought for sure that Carter would just love nursery. He's a social child, plays well with others, goes to my friends' homes without me just fine, stays well with babysitters. I just knew that the transition to nursery was going to be a breeze. Boy was I wrong!! Carter will scream for the full two hours. He won't eat the snack. He's to the point that he won't even play when we are in there with him. Any suggestions on how to get our child to stay in nursery and like it? I have heard to just give a short goodbye and leave. I have heard to leave for a bit, come back for a bit, and then leave for a bit again. I have heard to stay in there with them and leave a little earlier every time. Any help is greatly appreciated. The crying has got to stop. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Oooh, don't they make a fool out of you every time. Mylie had quite a hard time, but got over it by herself over the course of a few weeks. A friend of mine, however, had a child that refused to go for months. Finally, she decided to call the nursery workers ahead of time and found out what they were planning to do that week - the songs, activities, lessons, etc. Then they did it all at home during FHE (and probably a few other nights too). When her daughter went to Nursery that week, she was all prepared and knew the songs, and actually participated. After a few weeks, the parents were able to stop going too.... it's an idea...
We just leave and say goodbye. Mei Li seems to be fine. I think if we stayed she might be a little more emotional.
That is a tough call..........you don't want him to hate nursery. I remember Tiare Schlenker stayed with her oldest daughter forever! I thought it was silly but now that I see Carter struggling, why make it worse for him? I don't think he should cry for two hours! Of course, he's my grandbaby! Good luck...........he'll get it figured out and be comfortable when he's ready.........
Hmm...
Maybe you could "practice" nursery at home. Sing a song, eat a snack, play with friends and talk about how FUN nursrry is while doing it. As far as the actual drop off, I would make it short and sweet. Kiss him, tell him he is going to have so much fun and be on your way. Quick like taking off a bandaid :)That way he won't think that you are going to come back if he cries for long enough. But, this all depends on how upset he is. How are you going to enjoy church when he is so sad? :( Anyway, those are my ideas :)
Dani,
The girls had a couple weeks where they were each having a hard time. So I just started talking it up all week and saying, "Oh I am so excited for nursery tomorrow." And talking about it and the toys and the fun friends and as we walked to their class they would start to get excited so I would open the door and they would run in and play. If I ever went in, if their teacher wasn't there or something, then they would break down when I left. So even now, I never go in the room, I just open the door and they walk in and give me a kiss as they walk in. Good luck, I am sure you will find something that works for him. I missed you guys at Christmas and please come see us. And cute pics by the way!!
hmmmmm....sophia doesnt go in for another 3 months but ive gone in there a few times with her. what i found worked at the gym when i used to leave her there was not to say goodbye, just SNEAK OUT! i know its hard but maybe that might work?
Post a Comment