Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Jury summons


Ok, three posts in one day may be a bit extreme, but I do need some advice on this one. I just got a jury summons. Now, the probability that I will actually make it to a case in court are pretty slim, I would presume. I'm not really sure how it all works. But my curiosity is peaked. What if I got to sit in on some murder case?! Wouldn't that be so exciting?! The chances of that are decently high here in Multnomah county. I can, however, opt to be excused because I am nursing a child. It is mandatory that the court excuse me if I check that box. Or, I can not check the box and see what happens. I guess that being on a court would be a lot of days away from home and a lot of babysitting hours that would need to be fulfilled. That would be a lot of work, plus I would either have to pump a lot, or wean Andi. Ok, after writing all this and thinking through it, it is not practical at all to be on a jury right now. So, I guess my decision is made. But I would still love to hear what you think. Come on... wouldn't it be fun to see all the evidence and pictures and criminals in a murder case?! Unless of course they are convicted and then send their gang after the jurors. I'm not serving... case closed.

10 comments:

Ie Li said...

I think that would be cool! But of course it's not practical right now for you. I signed up for ward basketball a couple of weeks ago, but realized it would be a little difficult to bring a toddler and a nursing newborn to a practice because Steve's still at work.

P.S. the father son bond is so cute and I'm excited to see how it develops as Stephen grows up.

P.P.S. I changed my background thanks to the website you recommended. Thanks a bunch!

Amanda said...

I had to do it once, and you go to the court house, sit in a room with tons of other people, then you haev to fill out this HUGE questionairre that takes almost all day, and at the end of the day only 12 out of the like 100 they called will be chosen, and as soon as they see you are a nursing mom (from the stupid questionairre that is almost a background check) they will make you go home anyways. LOL so i would say not worth sitting in a court house all day. but i agree with you. i would absoulutely love to be on Jury one day on a murder trial. that would be so much fun.

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

I got a summons back at the beginning of the summer. I was SO hoping that I would get chosen - you know how I love dramas like Law & Order! But I did not get chosen.

It sounds like your decision is made for you, and is probably the most practical, but it would have/could have been quite an experience if you got chosen!

suzanne said...

Grandpa Jay was the foreman for a murder case not too many years ago..........he's still alive!

Robyn said...

I was summoned once in K Town and called in for the whole two weeks, but they never even needed any jurors. I was kind of bummed since I was working in housekeeping at Running Y that summer....I could have used the break!

Hayley Hatch said...

How exciting that would have been!...Not practical at this time in your life, but oh so very exciting :)

Jessie said...

3 posts eh?!! well, you needed to catch up! lol
i was called to jury duty once but i checked that i was not a US citizen and got off the hook! (im canadian)

Claire said...

I hate the idea of going because I would have to take Trax to get there, and because you have to sit and wait for a REALLY long time while they weed through who they are going to pick for their jury. Steve just barely had to do it, he said it was interseting for a little bit but very very boring for the most part. Yeah that you don't have to go!

Jaime said...

Bryan got summoned a couple months ago and they asked him what he did for a living and if they presented him a medical report from the case could he base his decision like he didn't know anything? He said No, how do you do that? Separate what you know and do everyday to knowing nothing about your life's career, so they dismissed him...sadly I was kinda looking forward to the $40 bucks a day you get as a juror.