Here is where I wish I would have reacted differently. Instead of being relieved that he was safe and not roadkill in the middle of the parking lot, or thinking about how terrified this poor little three year old was thinking that his mom and sister had forgotten him in the store, I was MAD! I was embarrassed that my kid was the runaway and that I was the mom that couldn't keep track of her kid in the store. I was embarrassed that the pregnant lady with two toddlers couldn't keep it together. I was mad that he made me abandon Andi in the checkout line to go running after him. I was thinking only about ME. So, instead of giving him a big hug and telling him I was so glad he was okay, I yanked him into my arms, squeezed his little face while I quietly yelled at him for running away. Sure wish I could have a redo on that one. But, alas, I cannot. So I guess I'll try to learn from this experience and remember how horribly I reacted and try to be better, more patient, more kind, and more selfless next time.
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
I wish....
I wish I could go back four hours in time and change how I reacted. We were at the store grocery shopping this morning. My kids did just fine the whole trip. They were happy and pleasant and didn't whine or anything the whole time. Eventually Carter had to hop out of the cart because the groceries were taking over. He did a great job walking next to me, like he always does. When we got to the check out line I started unloading groceries and Carter is rummaging through all the random junk they keep in the checkout lines. Pretty soon he spots a bike that some kid left at the back of the line. He goes back to play with it. Pretty soon I see him run past our checkout line. I am pretty sure he thought that we were the next aisle over. So I called out, "Carter, come back! You passed us!" Nothing. He must not have heard, though every other person in the store surely did. So I stand on this little platform and can't see him within the next couple of aisles. So I excuse myself from my line, while leaving Andi in the cart surrounded by strangers (smart thinking), and run down a couple aisles looking for Carter, yelling his name. Some guy says he's down a couple more aisles. So I run down there and he's not there. Some lady said she just saw a little boy running towards the exit. Great. I sprint over to the exit and luckily the worker at the door has him stopped. How did he get all the way there within, literally, 20 seconds?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I hate those moments...both the scary thinking you've lost your kid or something has happened to them ones, and especially the monster mom ones. Not saying you're a monster...just that we all have those moments of regret and it stinks.
dani, i love you and your honesty. oh yah, and i miss you too.
It's just the natural way we react. I've certainly been there and you know, you learn. You'll probably do it again but you'll think twice. And sweet Carter won't ever remember! Remember our talk at the park? Their memories are pretty short lived and they are certainly forgiving!
You are so cute. I probably would have been mad too. You're human. I still can't comprehend going out in public with more than one child...I may not do it alone for a very long time :)
i love that you posted this. i have done the exact samething and i wish oh i wish i could back in time. but like your mom said, we learn from our mistakes. sometimes all i want to do is just scream at olivia, but then i remember how much that would terrify her, doesn't mean i don't though. i think 3 year olds are a really amazing age with all that they learn and also really tough because they are trying to be so independent.
P.S. I'm so glad I had this post in mind tonight when Kaleb was dinking around and spilled the container of alfredo sauce someone had just brought us for dinner all over the carpet. Instead of jumping all over him (like I internally was) I was able to swallow that down and thank him for being honest and coming to tell me about his accident. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have responded that way hadn't I just read this! So thanks!
Oh yes, if I had a nickel...
I think this has happened to all of us - especially those boys!
Adrenaline doesn't help to keep us calm + patient in situations like these either! We are human + how many times have I gone to bed with all those guilty mom thoughts swirling? Too many.
Oh Dani so glad to hear, last weekend, San Fran weekend Reese did the exact thing but did make it out the door and into the parking lot. Oh I was ready to die, same thought ran through my mind of the lady with three kids who can't handle them. Must be the 3 years oldness, I hope.
Post a Comment