So, after much prayer and thought and talks and prayer and paperwork... I am a working woman. I am working pediatrics for a home health organization part/quarter time. It is such a blessing.
I got together with a friend from chiropractic college a couple of weeks ago and she happens to work as an RN too. She told me that her agency was in need of more nurses and that she would be happy to put in a good word for me if I ever decided to head back to work. I hadn't really been thinking about getting a job, mostly because I don't want to be away from home and also because most jobs require 3 months of full time days to orient and I was not willing to put in that much time away from my kids. But, when my friend told me about this job, I had a really good feeling about it.
I went to work on getting my Idaho license. As luck (or divine intervention) would have it I barely made the deadline of getting my Idaho license before a lapse in time would have required me to take another test (and pay a few more $$$). I was able to get my license simply by endorsement from Oregon since my license is still current there... and fill out a bunch of paperwork.... and pay a nice fee.
I went to fill out an application at this agency and just expected to drop it off and wait to hear back, but the supervisor was in so she took me right back, interviewed me, and hired me on the spot. I know that's probably pretty common for nurses because they are usually in pretty high demand, but still a blessing nonetheless.
I have been met with some skepticism over my decision to work. It's been hard to talk to some people about it, myself included. A woman's place truly is in the home. And even though this position is only night shifts every other weekend when Jefferson can be home with the kids, it will take a toll on my role at home in some way, no matter how small. I am grateful that we have prayer and guidance from our Heavenly Father to let us know that this was the right decision for our family.
My patriarchal blessing even mentions my education being means of sustaining and maintaining our home. I have always skimmed over that section because I never wanted to think about the implications of it; never wanting to have to work as a professional. But again, how grateful I am for my education and that I have a degree that I can use. And that I can get a job so easily, that pays so well, that is so flexible.
Thank you mom and dad for my education!! I appreciate it more today than the day I graduated.
8 comments:
It's no one's place to judge, and I'm sorry you're catching heat for your decision. I believe this is exactly why we, as women, are encouraged to have an education - because you never know if there will be times when you need it. What a blessing that you are able to help support your family in time of need - and what a blessing that it's a time when Jefferson will be home with the kids.
Isn't it such a blessing that you have a job that can be done part time/quarter time. To me that is a huge blessing. I love my education and use it everyday whether at home or at work. Good luck! Oh yes and the bows are too cute and I will be trying some of those out.
Dani,
I think it is great that you are working again. You really have to do what's best for your family. Thanks goodness you chose a profession that pays well and is easy to get into. There is just something really great about getting a paycheck too for all your hard work. Wish my own kid would hand me over money for taking care of him:)
Oh Dani, that is so great that you are able to work. It is REALLY hard, even when you only work a little like we are fortunate enought to be able to do. You will find yoursel more tired and things not getting done exactly the way or when you want them too, and I agree, home is where we should be, but isn't it nice that when it is required of us we have a flexible job that allows us to only leave when our husbands can be there. The best blessing is the bonding that will happen between Daddy and kiddos, not that it isn't already there, but you will see what I mean :)
Dani,
Congratulations on your new job. It's great that you are in a profession that is able to offer you flexibility and good compensation. Your a great mom, I know you'll be able to strike a good balance with work, mom, and wife. Most everyone I know has had to go back to work at one point or another to help things along, there's a time and a season for everything. Good luck.
Dani,
I'm so glad you found a position that fits well for you. Like others have said, that's a huge blessing of nursing- the flexible schedules, and positions along with the higher pay making it worth it! That's why it worked for me for so long! :) Only you know what's best for you and your family! Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new position!
So I haven't checked up on you guys in a while, but I am so happy that you found a position that is so flexible and that you feel good about. I have lots of thoughts on this since I've always worked (just one evening a week now, full-time when Tyler was in school) but bottom line is that I think you will find that your life is enriched in ways that you can't foresee right now. You have your heart and your priorities in the right place and this little bit of work on the side will just add another dimension to your life. I could go on and on forever, but I can't wait to hear what you think about it once you start! Congrats!
Aren't you so grateful for the guidance of the Holy Ghost in making difficult decisions? I think it's wonderful that you have such a useful degree that can get you a job anytime, anywhere.
Post a Comment