My Grandpa Stewart passed away a few weeks ago, and last weekend I was able to go down with my kids to Utah for the funeral. My parents and Alli drove through Boise so we managed to trick Alli into driving in our car. It was a funny and dangerous drive. We hit bad, bad rain and it was pelting our car so loud + the kids movie was turned on + the kids were in the back trying to talk to us + Alli and I were trying to carry on a conversation which consisted of us basically yelling at each other. We may have got the giggles, that on top of the horrific rain made it so I drove on the rumble strip for quite a ways, consequently making us laugh even harder. We were grateful to make it to our hotel in one piece.

The viewing and family prayer:

The funeral was a very nice service. All of the siblings spoke and each of the grandkids got up and shared a favorite memory of Grandpa. Then the grandkids sang "My Redeemer Lives."
This is the Cadillac we all have requested for our funerals. Grandpa Stewart went out in style.



We come from Scottish lineage, so there was a lone bagpiper there and it was beautiful. There is something about a bagpipe that just commands reverence. The second he started playing all of the kids quieted down and tuned in. After the graveside service the bagpiper piped in again and just slowly walked away into the cemetery. It was again, simply beautiful.

Here is the legacy my Grandpa and Grandma Stewart left behind. Three kids, 13 grandkids (plus spouses), and a whole slew of greatgrandkids... (19+ that I can think of off the top of my head)

The "Originals":

The kids in attendance. One of these things is not like the other.... me in my bright purple sweater. I guess I missed the memo that you wear black to a funeral. :)

My super amazing parents.

With lil sis Alli:

My cute kiddos had not a clue as to what was going on. I told them in very simple terms, but I caught them a few times at the graveside service dancing on graves and climbing over headstones. But for the most part they were gems. They got a little bit of a jump when they did the military solute (or whatever it's called when they fire off the guns). When we drove out of the cemetery they both blew kisses to Great Grandpa Stewart, and it made me a little teary.

The three Stewart kids... Frank, Aziele, Paul

We had a nice family luncheon after the funeral put on by my grandpa's ward. This little doll, Nora, is my cousin's little girl and she and Carter played prince and princess the entire luncheon. It was adorable. They are far enough removed for it to work, right?

After the funeral we had some of the afternoon left so we went to a little street fair they put on at the tabernacle lawn. There were a ton of booths, food, and a stage with live bands. Gramzee got the kids dancing while we waited for everyone to show up.

Andi & Alli:

When we first got to the street fair, Carter started saying he wanted "some of the hairy stuff." It didn't take long for me to realize that he wanted a cotton candy. It is kind of hairy come to think of it. "I thought I ordered a cotton candy, but got a small planet instead."

My cousin Jenny and I are the same age and we're both nurses. It was fun to catch up with her a bit.

Dinner at Firehouse is a must when in Logan and always a treat. They seriously have the best pizza I have ever ever ever had. Alli was a trooper and sat on a bench with both of my kids. She learned her lesson.
We're hoping the next Stewart family reunion is in the near future.
1 comment:
That's great you got more family time, and time with the Stewart side. Looks like a nice funeral. Although I must admit bagpipes actually bring out the giggles in me. I think it was from DT...did you ever hear/see the guy across the street every sunday who sat in his front yard serenading Provo with his bagpipes? Kilt and all. It was pretty funny...and now the sound will forever be linked to him for me!
Post a Comment