Thursday, November 20, 2008

Tis the season

In the past few days I have come across three different articles/comments that have all stated that we need to live in the present and enjoy today for what it is. There is a quote by Thomas S. Monson that says : "If we live only for tomorrow, we'll eventually have a lot of empty yesterdays." I have been trying to forget about all the things that I need to do for tomorrow so I can stop and enjoy what my kids are doing today. In the process it has just made me so thankful. I know Thanksgiving is next week, so I am sure that is influencing my new found thankful attitude too.

Just today I was taking my kids out of an appointment and we had to walk to the car. Just at that moment it began to pour down rain. Not sprinkle, or mist, or even just rain, it was the makings of a flash flood. Usually this would make me highly irritated, but instead I began to laugh, hard. My kids then started laughing at me and the amount of rain that was falling on our heads and we all just sat there sopping wet, trying to get into the car, laughing all the way. It was such a fun moment that I am thankful for.

When we got home from said appointment my new nursing license was waiting in the mail. How thankful I am that I got an education. I will still have a current RN license when Jefferson is done with school, and that is such a huge relief of a safety net if something doesn't work out as planned. I am so grateful that my parents were able to support me through college and that they emphasized the importance of education. We were always expected to get good grades, to do our best, and to obtain the most education that we could. 

That doesn't only imply college education, either. We are meant to continue to learn and grow throughout life. To read and study good literature. To develop, grow, and learn as a parent and spouse and in general, as a member of society.

Mostly, I have been so thankful these past two, very long days, that Jefferson is receiving his education so that I don't have to "use" mine, at least in a professional setting. He has sacrificed so much already for our little family, and I am truly grateful that I have him by my side. I know he will be successful and that I will have the opportunity to remain a stay-at-home mom FOREVER!! 

Also, as I am having to say goodbye to some of my dearest friends as they move on, I have realized what a blessing they have been to me while we are in the "chiropractic wife" club. That's not to say that this is the end of our friendship, but it's been so nice having such amazing friends a stones throw away that can relate to exactly what I am going through when my husband doesn't get home til 9pm and is out the door by 6:15am the next morning, and having two wild kids at home. So grateful for those girls and still so grateful for my chiropractic wife friends who remain here with me, and even more grateful for my "permanent Portland" girlfriends. I am very glad you aren't going anywhere. :)

Ok, I could go on and on about everything I am thankful for, and I am sure you are going to get a post full on Thanksgiving, but I'll stop it there for right now. Go thy way and be grateful!

7 comments:

Robyn said...

Thanks so much for your uplifting post!

Taryn said...

Yeah Chiropractic wifes!!! We rock! Hee hee

suzanne said...

I"m thankful you are my daughter!

mom-jayne said...

Thanks for sharing...so timely for me. I'm going forth with a little more resolve to find joy in the journey. Thx Dani. Loves to all...

Amanda said...

Thank you for uplifting my spirit! you really are such an amazing woman. and i am glad that i get to be apart of your family even though i don't get to see you guys that much.

Kirstin said...

I Grateful for YOU! I loved this post. Especially since I've been so busy lately and feel like I haven't done anything with my kids :( I need to take those moments and enjoy them!

Maylin said...

You have such an uplifting/optimistic attitude--thank you for sharing. I am grateful for your support and friendship and will miss you when we leave in 3 weeks. But we look forward to you guys coming to visit us in CA next summer-ish!