Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Fourth of July fun!

We had such an incredibly fun 4th of July weekend. We headed down to Klamath to spend the holiday at my parents' house with some of my family. The weather could not have been more perfect. The pool was warm, the sun was out, what more could you ask for?

We spent Thursday swimming and swimming. Jefferson and Carter managed to sneak in a short four wheeler ride, but the rest of the day before and after naps was swimming. Carter has always loved water, but really turned into a fish this trip. He will put on one of those little swimsuits with the floaties in it and just swim around, jump in, swim some more, and will not let anyone help him with anything.

Gramzee playing telephone with Carter:

Grandpa Paul with Andi somewhere under that hat:

About to shoot Mom... that's Carter treading water while filling and shooting his water gun. I can't even do that!

Friday we headed out to train heaven. Some guy in my dad's stake belongs to a train club out in Chiloquin Oregon (aka middle of no where). We loaded up that morning, me personally, with low expectations. I'm thinking we'll go on a little five minute train ride around some trailer or something, but boy was I wrong! I can't even begin to describe this place. It has over 20 miles of mini train tracks over tons of acres. As you take this little train ride there are little towns set up along the way that are made to scale. Our little ride took just over 2 hours. The kids loved it!! Since the little seats didn't have seat belts we decided that the kids ought to sit on a grown up laps. Lucky for me I have a huge belly, so my mom, dad, and Jefferson so graciously took turns holding my kids. I definitely got the best end of the deal; relaxing in my own seat, legs outstretched in the sun, a drink and snacks in hand- yup, it was pretty sweet.

After train time was naps and then we headed to the movies, "Ice Age 3." The kids did great with their little snackpacks and it was good to be out of the sun a bit. Grandpa let the kids drive the John Deer when we got home. Carter and Gray thought it would be smart if Gray pushed the petal and Carter "steered." It was highly entertaining to watch my dad run beside them to make sure they didn't crash.

Then of course there was swimming!

And after the kids were in bed; marshmallow roasting:

Saturday, the 4th, was packed full of fun!! We started the day at my parents' ward pancake breakfast and flag raising. Then we hit the parade. It is so small town and quaint and I love it, as did the kids:

After wandering around the street fair and lunch, we did a few rounds of sparklers and pop-its.

Then of course, swimming! The kids even got a special treat of snow cones made by Gramzee.

Then we had a delicious bbq dinner and did fireworks. Again, the kids loved it.

After much debate on whether to go and watch the city fireworks or not, we decided to let the kids go to bed. They were all tuckered out from all the swimming, sun, and playing. Us adults could see them from my parents drive way and then enjoyed ice cream and brownies around the fire. It was a great 4th of July!

We are so grateful to live in this beautiful country with all the freedoms we enjoy. You know you're pregnant when you are trying to explain the concept of country and freedom to your three year old and you get teared up. Poor Carter thinks his mom is crazy.

11 comments:

nison (nic + allison) said...

It was so much fun to spend time with your fam! Can't wait to see you all so soon! :)

Unknown said...

Sounds like the perfect 4th of July!

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

Looks like such a fun time! I wish we ALL could have been there! So excited to see you all in a few days!

Pieces of me... said...

Man... that sounded like some serious fun! I know I'm not family... but it would have been fun to be there myself! ;) I'm glad your 4th turned out so wonderful. And by the way... that's the beauty of pregnancy, we are just alittle more tender-hearted to the little things around us that we usually don't stop to think about.

John and Jada McFarlane said...

Finally you are looking pregnant! that looked like a great weekend! Your kids are so cute! I am sure little girl #2 is going to fit right in!

Sharon said...

We had a great time with you guys. What a great Fourth of July! Can't wait to see you guys again in a few days!

Dyan said...

What a perfect holiday! Looks like a wonderful and relaxing time. I'm sure it got you all even more excited for what's coming next week when you're all together again!

The McClellan Family said...

Looks like a good fourth:) I can't believe you are going to have a baby soon you are tiny! Are you planning on living in Portland? Chad and I are planning on taking a trip down there to go to the temple soon.

suzanne said...

Such a wonderful time. It was fun to see it all in print and pictures. Thanks for reminding me how much fun we all had! See you in a few days!!!!!!!

Jaime said...

Looks like a blast! Yay Summer!

Trishelle said...

Loads and loads of fun, Dani! It's so good to see you guys enjoying the weekend and enjoying a break together! Those are the best! You guys have such fabulous adventures! :)