Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Welcome Taytum Jean

She has arrived! Taytum Jean Harmon was welcomed into the Harmon family July 29th, 2009 @ 6:31pm at 37.5 weeks, 7 lbs. 5 oz and 21 inches long.

The run down:
- Tuesday night I got this little excited bug to have a baby.
- I was having braxton hicks at regular intervals, not painful, and not super close together.
- I could not sleep Tuesday night.
- Wednesday morning, nothing. A couple of braxton hicks, just kind of like usual.
- I took the kids to the dentist and got home around 12pm
- BH's kicked in at pretty regular intervals, every 7-10 minutes or so.
- I told Jefferson I thought we were going to have a baby that day (I don't think he believed me)
- 12:30pm I asked if I could run get a pedicure.
Jefferson said he would put the kids down for
their naps and I went and got a pedicure. (This served two purposes... really, I just wanted pretty toes for my delivery, but I figured if something was going to put my BH's to rest a massage chair and foot massage would do the trick... it didn't)
- BH's still regular, and kind of moving to my back.
- Get home at 1:30pm and tell Jefferson that we're having a baby today.
- I start cleaning up a little and packing some last minute things.
- I start having to stop and breathe through my contractions which are now about every 5 minutes apart.
- 2:30pm we decide to get the kids up and take them to our friend Carolyn's house.
- 2:45pm we drop dinner off to our friend Dani (I already had it made and was not going to let it go to waste)
- 3:00pm check into the hospital- yup, I'm in labor,
contractions every 1 1/2 minutes.
- I am checked and dilated to 7 cm.
- Decide to breathe out the contractions a little bit. Jefferson applies counter pressure, I use the birthing ball, and walk around a lot.
- Doing okay with the contractions.
- I am fevered and they can't cool me off so they give me an IV antibiotic.
- Taytum is tachycardic (fast heart rate) due to my high temperature.
- 5:00pm get checked- still at a 7!!!! Now I'm angry! All those contractions for nothing?!
- Taytum still tachycardic so they decide they need to speed things along
- 5:25pm break my water- OUCH!
- 5:28 amnio infusion... basically put a tube up me and run a bunch of cool fluids to try to cool Taytum off and slow her heart rate down
- Not really helping, contractions still every 1 1/2 minute and I think I am going to die with each one
- 5:45pm given a shot of terbutaline to slow down contractions
- 6:00pm, still at 7 cm... ask for epidural PLEASE!
- 6:05pm get epidural
- 6:19pm fully dilated
- 6:31pm Taytum is delivered!
- Cord is wrapped tightly around Taytum's neck twice.
- Cut cord, I get to pull baby out and up and right onto me. It was divine!!!
With my midwife Michelle
The kids seeing baby Taytum for the first time. Our friend had them all bathed and in their pajamas. Isn't she wonderful?!
The Harmon Girls:
Taytum was born on the second hottest day ever recorded in Portland, OR. It was 106 degrees. We joked with the nurses that I was just faking it and that we were really just there for the air conditioning.She is doing great. She was breathing pretty fast after she was born and they thought that maybe she had an infection because of my fever during labor. They did a CBC draw and everything came back normal. After a little time with mommy she was breathing right on track. She is a great nurser and is just busy sleeping a ton. We are loving this little lady.

23 comments:

Emily said...

Big congrats to you and Jefferson and the kidlets. You really do have your babies early. But at least this way you can get a little sleep. I pray for cooler temperatures so you can relax with little Tatum at home. Love the name and congrats again, she is beautiful

Nic said...

I am so happy for you guys!! She is beautiful and Alli and I can't wait to meet her.

Hannah said...

She is just beautiful. Congratulations! So excited she is here! Good job momma!

Jeff and Amy said...

Congrats! Glad everything turned out good and that things went pretty quick. Nice pedicure! Michelle was my midwife too, but now that I'm having twins I had to switch to a doc...kinda bummed about that. Cute family of five!!

The Bell Family said...

Congratulations, she is so cute! Love the name that is one I voted on. Glad everything went so good, oh and you fab for just having a baby. Good Job, can't wait to see more pictures of her!

Eric & Penny Kunz Family said...

Sweet baby, you look way too cute for just having had a baby. After reading your post I out loud said, " I want another baby."

Pieces of me... said...

Dani!! yeah!! She's beautiful! It'll be so fun to see who she really looks like as she gets older. :) What a scary... and might I add LONG labor. Does it feel weird to not have your tummy there? :) Oh, we are so excited for you guys... congrats!

Dyan said...

Congrats! She is such a little smoosh, I bet you are lovin on those cheeks of hers a ton!! Who'd of thought we'd both be home with our new babies and it's not even August yet?! Hope you all settle into your new life at home well. Oh, and I'm pretty sure most women can't say they survived the pediatric dentist, got a pedicure, took dinner into someone, and topped the day off be having a baby! You little over achiever! :) Congrats again, can't wait for more pics!

Trishelle said...

Dani, congratulations a million times over!! I'm soooo soooo happy for you. She is absolutely beautiful!

Michelle is a wonderful midwife! She delivered our Bunny and we loved her!!

Congrats, you guys!!

Rohatinsky Family said...

Yaaaaayyyyy!!!!! That is so exciting! She is GORGEOUS and you are the most beautiful person I have ever seen...and you just had a baby. Amazing!

Shauna said...

Congrats Dani!!!

Maylin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maylin said...

The Portland heat boiled that babe right out of you!

You are incredible going to get a pedicure, cleaning the house and taking dinner to someone else and then skipping over to the hospital to have a baby like it was just part of the day's "to-do" list.

Carolyn is so sweet to have Carter and Andi bathed and jammied--that lady has it all together!

You know, I realized that I don't have a picture with Michelle! That makes me sad. She is an amazing midwife.

So glad all is well. Enjoy that delicious little lovey!

Kara said...

You look way to cute in that picture to be on your way to the hospital... and I can't believe that you dropped off food on the way to a friend. You are amazing. She is adorable, and I love the name.

Cavan, Sarah, KaeLynn said...

Danni I can't believe how perfect you look after you just had a baby!! Good job on the delivery. I know how you feel, going through all those contractions just to find out that you have not improved at all! UGH! I am so happy for your family!

jacque said...

Congrats! Sounds like a full day--and that was right after the dentist! :) Okay my mom texted me something about you and girls camp so i was glad that wasn't the case. Love her name--I was hoping that was the one you chose. I'm all about having names that fit with the genre of the other kids--yours do! :)

Emmett and Ashlee said...

She is precious. Look at all that hair. I love how happy the kids look to have their new sister. Good work. Your family is beautiful. I love love her name. It is perfect. Congrats you guys. We love ya.

mom-jayne said...

Dani--so fun to hear the details. A few scary moments, but glad to hear everything turned out OK and that both you and baby are well. We love you lots.

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

She is so beautiful! I can't wait until the end of August to get my hands on her!

Anonymous said...

so fun! glad she is here, healthy, and of course... very cute! :)

Kendra said...

Congrats! She is beautiful! I love the spelling of her name. It is a perfect name - good choice. Good work with labor and good luck with the next few weeks welcoming Taytum into your home. Can't wait to see more pictures! Congrats!!!

Jessie said...

what a neat story, i cant believe you were at 7cm for 3 hours!! wow, good thing for that epidural! Glad eveything went well and love the name and spelling :) congrats mom of 3!!!

Rachel Garcia said...

Glad to see all is well and baby is safe and happy- The 3rd is soo much fun congratulations!! Can't wait to see her!