Friday, September 17, 2010
Corn.
Our friends had access to a corn field down in Melba so we went and picked corn one Saturday and spent the whole afternoon shucking, boiling, cutting, and bagging. There were three families and we all just hung out at our place, let the kids run amuck, and ate pizza for dinner. It was a long afternoon, but fun with good company, and we'll be thanking ourselves for the delicious fresh corn in the dead of winter.
Don't judge me... this was after a night of work, about four hours of sleep and no shower. I know, disgusting. :)

It didn't look like much at first and after we left we were worried we didn't pick enough.
Luke and Jill manning the shucking station.
Michelle & Garren, originators of the day of corn.
Master of knives. (note his appropriate choice of shirts)
Bagging....
It was a long day and this was in the last hour or so.
The fruits....errr vegetables of our labor.
We each walked away with almost 60 bags of corn per family and even gave about 15 bags to a neighbor friend of ours. Highly satisfying.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
What a most fabulous idea! My sister and I just did "cook for a day" and it was a lot of work, but now that I have 16 meals in the freezer, I am super happy we did it!
Dang. Food storage satisfaction!
That is awesome! I totally remember my mom and aunts doing that at my grandmas house when I was a kid (all the kids got to help husk it:) I am totally jealous!!!
That looks so good! And to answer your question, this little girl has been so amazing I might just want to do it again. Minus the whole pregnancy part. :) How are you feeling?
That looks so good! And to answer your question, this little girl has been so amazing I might just want to do it again. Minus the whole pregnancy part. :) How are you feeling?
To quote Nacho: "Save me a piece of that corn for later!"
Yum!
YUM! Your family just seems to be growing up so fast! Everytime I look your kids seem bigger - they are so cute! Hopefully one day I'll get to actually meet them :)
Post a Comment