Saturday, September 11, 2010

Hello 2nd Trimester

I just wanted to record a little bit about this pregnancy. It's been a little different than my previous three and slightly unexpected. For about four months, or maybe more, I have occasionally had those feelings that someone was missing. I would be sitting at the table with all three of my kids and feel like someone was still upstairs napping. I would be holding Taytum, and Carter and Andi were playing in the living room, and I would look on the floor for another child. I have heard of people saying that they have felt that before, but it was/is such an odd thing to experience myself. So, I knew that we were bound to have another baby pretty soon.
(Sorry if any of this is TMI...don't feel obligated to read) We weren't trying to get pregnant, but we weren't not trying either. In May I was six days late and thought maybe that I was pregnant, negative pregnancy test, regular period, nevermind. Then I had a cycle smack dab in the middle of my cycle. That, plus an abnormal pap last September made me think that maybe it was about time I go in for my repeat. Got that scheduled and was a little nervous that maybe something really was up with my body. I also kind of had a feeling that maybe I wouldn't get pregnant until the fall, for whatever reason. Then I was in Klamath for girls' week in July and was about five days late. I told Jefferson to bring up one of my pregnancy tests I had stashed at home, but not really thinking I was pregnant still. He came up at the end of the week, I took the pregnancy test and those two little pink lines came up immediately! I was so surprised! And excited! And I cried... for a couple of different reasons.
I was pretty nauseous for the first few weeks. I tried to play down my symptoms as much as possible on our family vacation to Sunriver the next week. I forced myself to eat things that did not sound good at all. I couldn't eat as much as I normally would have. A few people may have picked up on some of those hints....
Then from about 8-12 weeks I would have random bouts of morning sickness. I would feel absolutely fine, and then all of a sudden breakfast was making a come back and I would feel sick for a few hours after that. I have thrown up a total of 2 times in three pregnancies and have thrown up about 6 times with this one alone. I'm not complaining, because the rest of the time I feel fantastic. But this pregnancy is markedly different.
Until that first ultrasound I kind of felt uneasy about the pregnancy. Again, I'm not sure why. But as soon as we had that ultrasound I felt at ease and relieved to see everything was okay in there.
We are super excited for this baby. It's not the usual giddy excitement I feel like I've had with my last three babies, but more of a calm excited. Maybe because it's baby number four and everyone just kind of expects it, or maybe because I'm not sure how four kids at home is going to be. Did I mention I'll have four kids four years old and younger for a month! It's going to be a crazy first year, but a good one.
The kids are so excited for another sibling. Andi constantly says to Jefferson, "Dad... Mom has a baby in her tummy." Kind of like she's letting him in on a little secret or something. She also always wants to "feel the baby" and she'll just place her hand on my tummy, even though there's not really a baby bump to feel, and certainly no movement to feel from the outside yet. Carter is more intrigued with the growth of the baby and how the baby is not ready to come out yet. He talks about how the baby needs to grow more and how it is still red. We showed him a picture of what the baby looks like right now developmentally and it has a red hue to it, so that's what he thinks. Plus with the transparent skin on the baby, it really is probably kind of red. Taytum is clueless. :)
I forget I'm pregnant quite frequently, but get excited when I remember. We should find out mid/late October what we're having. We can't wait to find out if it's a girl or a boy, but don't care either way. He/she will be loved!
PS... the pooch has officially arrived as of about two days ago.

9 comments:

suzanne said...

I keep forgetting you are preggers as well. I'm just so happy and excited for your family!

Jessie said...

I've heard similar stories about feeling that someone was missing, very neat I bet!I think we are meant to have 2 since we feel like our family is complete :)
Good luck with the morning sickness, I bet its almost over with.

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

I believe I was correctly guessing that you were pregnant at Sunriver - thanks for lying to me for so long! :) So excited!

Hayley Hatch said...

I love hearing you journal about your babies. It's as if we are sitting on your couch at the ol' star apartment chatting it up :) I am so excited for this little person. And I totally know what you mean about feeling like someone is missing. We will have to chat more about that one of these days :) Anyway, hope you get to feeling better. Can't wait till October ish to see if it is a he or she Harmon :)

Pieces of me... said...

It's so interesting the experiences we have in life that prepare us for the future even when we don't know it. I hope the morning sickness slows down for you. We are excited to hear the gender of your newest coming addition :)

Robyn said...

I am so incredibly excited for you and your family, even though big moments like these make me even more sad that we are far apart!

whitney allison said...

I can't believe you guys are having your FOURTH kid. Weren't we just living in Hampstead last week?

Hannah said...

Congratulations Dani. I'm very excited for you guys. I can relate to that feeling that your missing someone. I'm constantly having the same. Can't wait to hear what sex this one will be..

Rohatinsky Family said...

I loved reading about your experience with this one. I think it's probably because I can relate in some smal way (when I was pregnant with Shaffer). You are a great mom!