Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Missionary Moment

I had one! This past Sunday, our neighbor's dad was standing outside of his daughter's apartment while we were headed out to church. He casually asked if we were headed to church. Jefferson told him that we were and that we attended the LDS church around the corner. That was about the extent of the conversation since we were wrangling our two kids into the car and it was windy and cold outside.

Well, I saw the dad again today and went over to introduce myself. He explained that he's just coming around a little bit more to try to help his daughter, our neighbor, get her feet under her and what not. His daughter is maybe 20, single, and has a two year old son. He said that they are trying to get everyone on the right path and whatnot. I asked if he was religious, and he said he's just been too busy to get to church, but that he knows he needs to make time for it. Then he said, "You go to the Mormon church, right?" I told him that was another name for our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I asked if he knew anything about it and he said he knows a family who is Mormon and has had a few discussions with them. I told him a few more things about our church, like that we are Christian and that we are really family oriented. He said that sounded great. I then invited him to church this Sunday and told him what time it started. He sounded really interested. I then asked if he had a copy of the Book of Mormon, and he said he thought that he did, but I told him if he didn't, to let me know and I can get him another copy. 

It was a really good experience, and I truly hope he comes on Sunday. It seems that his family could really use the gospel. Then again, who can't use the gospel, right? I'll let you know if there is anything to update on. 

8 comments:

Dyan said...

yes, every person and family needs the gospel...i don't know how people make it without! good for you to open your mouth and extend the invitation...i think i need to do that a little more often...

Maren B said...

Nice one. PS--maybe he needs hip hop, too.

Unknown said...

That is great. I had a thought last Saturday evening, that if I had a gospel/service experience every day by the end of the year I could have 360 gospel experiences! Jason and I decided to give it a try as a family. On Sunday we brought one of Payton's friends to church with us. On Monday I had some Jehova's Witnesses in my home for about an hour. I bore my testimony of the restored gospel and gave them a book of mormon, had a great discussion. Today Jason spoke about the church with two co-workers. We decided that any little act of service wether it is a note in the mail, or a drop by visit to a neighbor would qualify. It's going well, sounds like Heavenly Father is providing all sorts of opportunities for us to spread the good news!

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

That is really neat Dani! I am always more on the afraid/shy side of sharing my feelings, but I need to be better about that! Way to go! Keep us posted!

suzanne said...

Good luck! It feels so great to share doesn't it?

Momma K said...

Nice going! It's crazy where the opportunities present themselves. And yes, everyone certainly does need the gospel. :) And on that topic... My 10 year birthday is on Friday!! Can you believe that? I can't!

SG said...

Way to go! It can be totally hard to share the gospel at times...but good for you!

Sharon said...

That is really awesome! I'm also a little on the shy side of sharing the gospel, but I am making it a goal to do better! I can't wait to hear more and to hear if he goes to church.