Saturday, March 21, 2009

Easy Easter Egg Wreath

I saw this idea on another blog
And thought, "Hey, I could make that!" She gave the tutorial and so I picked up all my supplies and went to work on it while Jefferson and his friend Ryan played Wii into the wee small hours of the morning. It was so simple and super cheap. I spent just $10, though if you had any of the supplies before hand you could cut a buck or two still.

Easter Eggs: Dollar store: 2 bags = $2
Wreath: Dollar store: $1 (I used a 13" but the original was 18")
Moss: Dollar store: $1
Paints: Michael's: $0.50 each= $1.50 (vanilla, espresso, Caribbean blue)
Spray paint primer: Michael's: $4.50 (if you have your 40% off coupon you can save a couple bucks there. I decided to do this really last minute so Jefferson and the kids were waiting in the car and my coupon was at home)
Hot glue gun: already had
Ribbon: used some I already had around the house


Step #1 said to sand the eggs. Supposedly it helps rough up the eggs so they hold the paint better. I did this to all but one of my eggs, just to see, and I must admit that they look exactly the same. Not sure if you need to do this step, but certainly could if you don't want to risk it.

Step #2 paint with primer. The other tutorial said to then paint it with a regular white spray paint too, but I didn't and it covered up the bright colored eggs just fine. You might be able to get away with just a white spray paint too instead of a "primer." I'm not a spray paint expert.

Step #3 cover wreath with moss. I added this step because I thought the original example was too barren. I just used LOTS of hot glue and did the "shake test"(shake it and see if anything falls off) to make sure it was all securely glued on. I did this while I waited for the primer to dry on the eggs.

Step #4 paint with acrylic paint. Make sure the primer is dry first and then I just used a sponge brush to paint all my eggs. The original only had two colors, but I really like the touch of brown in mine. Also, when the eggs were close to dry I closed them up and then ran a little bit of paint over all the seams to try to hide them better. You will never not see some of the seams, but this helps. And for some reason if you paint from the fat part upwards to the skinny part (or hold it upside down) it covers up the seam better. 

Step #5 speckle your eggs. I used an old toothbrush, dipped it into the paint, held it away from me, and ran my fingers down the bristle. I am sure you all know how to do this. 

Step #6 glue your eggs on. Yup, I just hot glued them. The original tutorial has you poke holes in each of your eggs and thread wire through each egg and wrap it through your wreath. This will probably hold it more secure in the long run, but I don't plan on putting mine outside where it will be exposed to the elements and so hot glue has worked great. I again did the "shake test" and made sure all the eggs stayed on and didn't jiggle too much.

Step #7 add ribbon. Pretty self explanatory. Wrap ribbon around it. I didn't tie it or anything because the weight of the wreath holds it in place. I might play with mine a little and try wrapping the ribbon throughout the eggs too. We'll see.

And here is the final product. I must say that I like mine better than the original. :)

10 comments:

suzanne said...

SUPER CUTE!!!!!!!!

Maylin said...

Looks great! It makes me want to do something crafty. Maybe this, but I should make curtains for the girls' room first. Thanks for sharing!

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

So cute! Way to be crafty! I wish we lived closer so we could be crafty together!

breena rae said...

i love you. I always love seeing what creative things you and your kids do...even if it's a copy. Thanks for always sharing.

Taryn said...

Very cute wreath Dani! I must say that I too think your's turn out better than the "template" wreath! Great job!

Sharon said...

Super cute. I like yours better than the original too!

Trujillo family said...

I meant to comment on it today, I love it! I need more Easter things to display. And I like yours alot better than the original! Way Cute!!

Sarah said...

Nice! I think I may want to try that too! I like the moss that you added.

Dyan said...

Yes yours is much cuter! when i saw the first one I thought it was so-so, probably not worth making...but then I saw yours and was convinced otherwise! I'm sure it looks nice and festive hanging! Oh, and I Like the strap you hung it with too, fun!

Jaime said...

That is really a cute idea...I had no idea you could take those cheap eggs and make them look so great! thanks for sharing!