Friday, March 6, 2009

I QUIT!

That's right, I am resigning as the resident manager of Star Apartments. There's actually a bit of a story behind it.... I had a meeting with my property manager (PM) on Wednesday. It was somewhat ironic timing because we are full right now. No vacant units= maximum cash flow for the owners=good job resident manager (me). Anyways, the set up here is that I am in the actual office for 2 hours every day while my kids are napping (I can see my apartment from my office and have the monitor over there). Then I spend the rest of my office hours every day in my apartment. I have the office phone on me all the time and there is a sign on the office door stating where to find me at with my apartment number and phone number on it. Never been a problem, get tons of calls and tons of showings. Anyways, the owners think that I need to be spending more time in the actual office every day. They don't have a good reason for it, they just think for some reason that that will help these apartments rent quicker. Nevermind that we didn't have any apartments rent ready for months because the owners wouldn't pay to have them turned. That could never have anything to do with why the vacant units didn't rent! Who wants to rent an apartment they have never seen, especially when the outsides aren't particularly inviting or promising? 

Anyways, I said "no." I will not and cannot spend more time in the office. My PM thought that would be the case so she offered to move me to two other properties that were newer, smaller, and less office hours. Consequently also less pay, and also in Hilsboro (about 45 minutes away). While I appreciated the offer we decided it best not to move with only six months left, especially when most of our friends live over here, that would mean at least a 45 minute commute to and from Jefferson's clinic every day, my midwife is over here who I adore, and now without me working we will qualify for additional aid that will basically cover the cost of our apartment. 

I had really mixed feelings about quitting at first. I felt guilty because quitting was mostly a selfish thing that I have been wanting to do for months. I was also nervous because we weren't sure if my PM would let us keep our apartment and we really didn't want to have to move. I was ecstatic at the possibility of having more freedom to travel and freedom to do whatever I want all day long and to schedule playdates for the afternoon if I want and, and, and... I hate quitting anything and secretly thought that maybe this whole thing was a ploy by my PM to have me quit and that for some reason she wasn't happy with my performance and didn't have the guts to fire me.

I went and had a meeting with her today to let her know that though I appreciated the offer of transferring properties, I was going to "resign." She was sincerely upset and asked if I had a chance to go look at the properties before I made my decision. She did say she understood how family needs to come first and said that if I changed my mind or ever wanted to go back into property managing she would hire me again, or give me a good reference. That was reassuring and nice to know that I was actually valued as an employee. We are going to stay on for the rest of the month and then start actually renting our same place until we move in September, or whenever it may be. It was a good meeting, I felt like we have made the right decision, and I feel like a load has been lifted!

I feel like I will be a better mom without this job. I also think that my pregnancy will be better not having to worry about hauling two kids around doing showings at 9 months pregnant. Not working will free me up to travel and make arrangements for moving in September and to set up housing and help with setting up a business. So yay for being solely a stay-at-home mom! 

I have appreciated this job and it has been a blessing for the time that we have had it. Some things that I have learned from this job:

-I am so incredibly blessed in my life. 
-I am also an incredibly clean person. I never thought I was above and beyond what was "normal," but after walking through every single one of the units here, our apartment looks like heaven!
-It is hard to break the cycle of lifestyle that you are born into. Luckily I was extremely blessed to have been born into a very good family.
-Many people do not want to take accountability for their actions, or lack of action; tenants and employees alike. 
- Education is invaluable and possibly one of the greatest indicators of where you will end up in life. 


12 comments:

suzanne said...

Yay for playtime - in KFalls - at my house - at your house - anywhere! Let's play! And ps - you've never QUIT anything you've started and I see this as just moving on!

The McClellan Family said...

All right welcome to the unemployed - it is great:)

Maren B said...

YEa! I'm so happy for you. And jealous. And your "mixed feelings" about quitting make me laugh, because I have the EXACT SAME mixed feelings. I just haven't quite bitten the bullet yet. I'm glad you guys get to stay in the ward for the last 6 months! Congratulations on a tough, good decision!

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

Soooo.....come on down to Utah! :)

Glad things ended on a good note with your boss, and that it feels right to you to move on. That's the best indicator!

Jeff and Amy said...

Yay, congrats!! I have been having those same struggles for months, as you know. The only poopy thing about if I did actually quit is that I would definitely have to move. I am happy that you get to be solely a stay at home mom - and I'm a little jealous too :) You said that without you working you qualify for more aid that would cover your rent - what aid is that and how do I sign up?? And it's not quitting in the sense of you giving up or anything, it's moving on (like someone already said) and it's doing what's best for you and your family. Now you actually get to focus on your family and enjoy being a mom!

Unknown said...

Sounds like the right thing at the right time. I happy for you that you have been relieved of this burden. Any chance of you guys opening your practice down here?

Eric & Penny Kunz Family said...

Danny- I am so jealous. If I didn't have to move I think I would quit right now too, actually I am waiting to get fired so I can get unemployment. I so get how you feel about quitting and not quitting. So glad it works out you can still live in the ghetto though. I hate to wish life away but I cannot not wait to not have this job! Good luck with everything!

Momma K said...

So, I get all your reasonings, and I'm happy for you, but I've just got to say that Hillsboro could have been a really fun adventure...Robyn and I could have made it worth your while :). But that's okay, cuz now we'll just have to get together and play soon, before you take off!

Dyan said...

Congrats! Glad it all worked well in the end. And it will certainly be for the best as you can rest a little more and just really enjoy the moments you have left there, both with friends and with just the 2 kids before baby 3 arrives. Happy times for you and your family!

Anonymous said...

YEAH! Congrats on the new-found FREEDOM! It'll be so nice to not have that added stress on your shoulders! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! What a relief! And I just found out that I am NOT leaving at the end of the month! errrrr Yes, I will have to explain what happened to you! Anyway, I am happy you made that decision, especially with being pregnant. You will enjoy it more not being so stressed out. yay, so happy for you!

Robyn said...

I have to second Karli's comment! :) Though I understand two moves in 6 months with a family of four (or maybe 5 by then!) would not be so fun! I'm glad that you stood up for what you believe is right. You were never one to let others jerk you around!

(By the way, once again our blog designs are almost exactly the same. Too funny!)